The secret has been hard to keep for almost 3 years ! We are delighted to announce that we have decided to embark on a new adventure: our first Kickstarter campaign!
We are extremely excited about this, especially as Dead Cells is a video game that holds a special place in our hearts. We are joined by a group of veteran and decorated designers Antoine Bauza (7 Wonders), Corentin Lebrat (Draftosaurus), Ludovic Maublanc (Cyclades), and Théo Rivière (The Loop), dubbed Kaedama, to bring their vast experiences to the design of the first board game in the Dead Cells universe in conjunction with the game development teams Motion Twin, and Evil Empire.
Read our full annoucement press release here !
The game will be coming this spring to Kickstarter, and you can visit the Kickstarter page right now and click "Notify me on launch" to be there on Day 1 when it launches!
Cover art is not final
More details will be coming out as we prepare for the project, so make sure to check out our social media channels for more information. In the meantime, here is everything we can tell you about it!
Dead Cells: The Rogue-Lite Board Game is a dungeon-crawler that offers a cooperative rogue-lite experience inspired by the Medroidvania genre, playable with 1-4 players, and with a gameplay of around 45 minutes. Explore the ever-changing island of Dead Cells in this ruthless dungeon crawler. Explore. Kill. Die. Mutate. Repeat.
Choose one of the four Beheaded (Woah, hold on... Isn't it supposed to be only one of these guys? Is this one of those stupid time-loop plots?) As you resurrect with very little clue of what’s going on, you will...
• Explore Biomes. Choose your path wisely within a sprawling, ever-changing castle! Will you upgrade one of the character powers with a scroll? Or will you choose a chest to equip a new weapon? Will you find the hidden runes that will open new paths and access new biomes? This won’t be a walk in the park, though. Because the island is infested with the abominations born from the Malaise, be ready to…
• Kill Enemies. Each character class has unique power sets and a deck of action cards. For each enemy encounter, you will only need to pick one action card to cover all three phases of a fight. Loot equipment, gold, scrolls, and Cells from the corpses of your enemies and get stronger, but beware... Your health pool is limited and sooner or later you will...
• Die. Wandering through enemy-infested dungeons isn't the safest activity, even for your beheaded heroes. There will eventually be one monster too many, or you could step on a fatal trap and lose all your scrolls, equipment, and accumulated gold. But this is far from the end for you! Even in death you will be able to keep your precious Cells to…
• Mutate. The Collector will let you spend your Cells to buy permanent mutations that will give you more power... forever! Choose cards to buy from three different decks: Brutality, Survival, or Tactics. Get action cards to enhance your card deck. Find blueprints to grow your loot deck. Increase your health pool. Unlock additional item slots, and much more… Unless you prefer to throw your Cells into this mysterious well... It seems like a pretty stupid thing to do with your hard-earned Cells, but hey, you do you, bud... Death is no excuse to take a nap, so...
• Repeat. Death is not the end either! You’ve already lost your head, remember!? As the day starts again in a new loop, use your new permanent mutations to exact revenge on whatever killed you last time. Go further and deeper into the island and kill the bosses to access new starting biomes. Previously-played biomes keep changing as stronger monstrosities spawn in them, along with powerful new items. (Damn! Will this game ever end?)
Dead Cells : The Rogue-Lite Board Game is coming to Kickstarter this spring!
A game by Antoine Bauza, Corentin Lebrat, Ludovic Maublanc, Théo Rivière
Illustrated by Naiiade, Laure de Châteaubourg, Robin Lagofun, Paul Vérité
Explore. Kill. Die. Mutate. Repeat.
About Dead Cells
Dead Cells is a rogue-lite, metroidvania-inspired, action-platformer. You'll explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle... assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers in 2D souls-lite combat. No checkpoints. Kill. Die. Learn. Repeat.
Dead Cells won for ‘Best Action Game’ at The Game Awards 2018. Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive, with a 97% rating.
About Motion Twin
Motion Twin is an independent game development studio based in France since 2001 and are the creators of the hit roguelike action game Dead Cells, available for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch platforms. Motion Twin is a worker cooperative passionate about creating new game experiences. Learn more at https://motion-twin.com
About Evil Empire
Evil Empire is the evil spawn of a bunch of ex-Motion Twiners. Formed in 2018 in close proximity and partnership with Motion Twin, Evil Empire is focused on producing new original content, both for Dead Cells and new IP.
Once a month Scorpion Masqué's Grand Poobah shares his thoughts with you. From how the market has evolved, to writing rules that make sense, with detours into game mechanisms, you will get a glimpse at the board game industry from the point of view of a publisher.
Copyright © 2023 - Le Scorpion Masqué